Advertisement

Anyone with a toilet tissue allergy?

topic posted Sun, September 9, 2007 - 12:31 AM by  ashara
Share/Save/Bookmark
I developed sensitivity to something in toilet tissue a few years ago. It took a long time to figure it out. Although the reaction is pretty immediate, initially I didn't make the connection.
I thought it might be chlorine bleaching that is done to the tissue, but the organic types, believe it or not, caused a more severe reaction. I was in Paris several months ago and found I had far less of a reaction to some of the toilet tissue there--even the colored tissue, popular in France, caused hardly any reaction.
Am I the only one? Does anyone else have this type of contact allergy?

posted by:
ashara
Advertisement
  • Re: Anyone with a toilet tissue allergy?

Mon, September 10, 2007 - 7:56 PM
    I have a sensitivity to alot of toilet papers. Scented ones, colored ones, and thick ones (like Charmin) irritate me. I usually just use the el-cheapo one ply stuff. Not the softest stuff in the world, but plain white unscented oneply is the only thing that doesn't break me out. I've never tried organic stuff.

Thu, May 30, 2013 - 1:31 PM
      Yes, I developed the allergy a few years ago. However I live in Thailand where, because the municipal sewage systems do not exist and everyone has septic tanks which cannot handle paper, all the toilets have water hoses to clean oneself. You use the water hose and fingers to clean yourself and if necessary use paper to dry yourself. I don't use paper to dry myself as its a very warm climate. It is brilliant and the paper allergy does not bother me and the result is that I'm cleaner than when I use paper to clean. In Thailand it is useful, hygienic and pleasant and results in no itchiness. Many of my friends think it would be great to export to their home countries but the problem is that in their home countries the temperature can drop and the water can be VERY cold. if this issue could be addressed properly, maybe by warming the water it would be the ideal solution.
      Please, please, look at www.wowasis.com/travelblog/
      If you have problems this could be the answer. I swear by it.

Sat, July 9, 2011 - 10:16 AM
    Yes:
    This is not an uncommon problem for both male and female - probably more common for females, because they have to use TP more often. The main problem is in 'white' toilet paper. Additives are used in the manufacturing process to whiten the paper, because American users associate 'white' with purity.
    The best and quickest remedy is to use natural TP without ANY additives. This is often easy to obtain abroad. In fact Kimberley-Clark manufacture a brand in the USA called 'Natural', but do not market it in the USA. It is distributed throughout Central America. When I first used this product I was itch free within 24 hours and have remained so with exclusive use.
    'Natural" is the cheaper brand in Costa Rica, and is very comfortable to use - just got to get over the color prejudice!

Recent topics in "homemade beauty remedies"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
younger women looking for older men serena 0 April 2, 2014
how to add MSM to creams and such?... Jacklyn 17 March 11, 2014
flat tummy tatiana 1 December 5, 2013
white eyes tatiana 0 October 28, 2013