Advertisement

cure for bad gas??

topic posted Mon, May 30, 2005 - 3:48 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
OK.. this isn't exactly a beauty problem & it's kinda embarrasing.. but I've got the nastiest case of persistent (since last night) gas... I mean my tummy is just HUGE.

I've tried doing lots of sit-ups :P licorice tea & tummy massage, but nothing's working... anyone out there have an idea for me?

Thanks!
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: cure for bad gas??

Mon, May 30, 2005 - 4:17 PM
    replenish your good flora in your system. purchase some Acidophilus and or Premadophilus...that has the good bacteria.... start taking it. also good for diaherrea.... and vomiting and yeast infections.

what did you eat??
    broccoli, eggplant??
  • Re: cure for bad gas??

Mon, May 30, 2005 - 4:55 PM
    Carbo Vegetabilis. Homeopathic for stomach bloating with gas. Works for me everytime. Although sometimes it works by making me belch. But, better out than in right? If you don't want to go out to get some you could try eating some burnt toast. Not as effective, but does help somewhat.

Mon, May 30, 2005 - 5:42 PM
    It may seem obvious but have you tried the yoga position "downward dog"?
    • Unsu...

Mon, May 30, 2005 - 6:51 PM
      Thanks for the ideas, everyone.. I eat yoghurt with live acidophilus cultures every day.. but maybe I need to up it a notch?

I will look for the homeopathic remedy tomorrow.. I'm expelling plenty, but the ol gas plant is making gas faster than I can get rid of it...

I didn't eat anything yesterday I don't usually eat.. so just not sure what's up..

What's the downward dog pose? I don't know yoga at all.. I'll give it a try if you can tell me what I need to do.

Thanks again everyone.. keep those ideas coming :)
      • Unsu...

Mon, May 30, 2005 - 8:25 PM
        bacteria in our stomachs or intestines is what makes gas.
        thats why i suggested adding more of the good bacteria to your diet... yogurt is good....but yes you should get more thats why i rec the premadophilus and or acidophilus.

doing poses can help expell but if you arent doing anything to cease the production....its not really helping much.

when your intestinal flora are off kilter it can wreak havo on your system....causeing excess gas, constipation or diahrrea
        • Unsu...

Mon, May 30, 2005 - 8:30 PM
          alrighty.. I'll add more good critters than I do already.. I"m sure I have acidophilus around :).. sure wish I knew what sent me outta whack.. you can be sure I wouldn't do it again!
          • Unsu...

Tue, May 31, 2005 - 5:28 AM
            really think about what you ate and how it was prepared. for instance i never had a problem with egg plant then one day i did. i think part of it had to do with how it was prepared. eggplant parmesan is fint... but sauteed eggplant gave me horrendous gas. and it never did before.
  • Unsu...

Sat, June 4, 2005 - 2:13 PM
    Improper food combinations also cause excess gas and bloating. Mixing acid foods with proteins (peanuts and orange juice would be a prime example) are a really bad combo and cause gas in most people.

Good food combining habits

1. Avoid combining any of the following foods in one meal:
    Protein-rich foods
    High starch content foods
    Fats
    Sugars
    Fruits

2. Combine leafy green veggies, non-starch veggies and sprouts with one other category mentioned above.

3. Avoid combining fuits and veggies in one meal

4. Eat melons alone

Rules to aid digestion

1. Avoid drinking liquids 20 minutes before meals, during meals and for one hour following meals as liquids dilute digestive juices and hinder digestion.

2. Avoid drinking liquids that are either too cold or too hot; they can stress the digestive process

3. Avoid eating immediately following strenuous exercise

4. Avoid overeating

5. Chew your food properly, as digestion begins with the saliva in your mouth

6. Avoid eating 3-4 hours before bedtime. Esp. avoid eating fruits at night. The sugars are very stimulating and can cause a wakeful night's sleep.

Mon, June 6, 2005 - 12:58 AM
      chew fennel seeds after every meal. the indians have been doing it for centuries. also gives you nice fresh breath. and drink fennel tea after dinner too. of course, in addition to the above suggestions. but it really should help, especially eating the seeds. you can buy nice stuff in an indian market that is lightly toasted & sweet.

Wed, June 15, 2005 - 10:25 AM
        About a half tablespoon of cinnamon helps me.
        • Unsu...

Wormwood herb tea Re: cure for bad gas??

Wed, June 15, 2005 - 2:40 PM
          Wormwood
          A nervine tonic, particularly helpful against the falling sickness and for flatulence. It is a good remedy for enfeebled digestion and debility. Wormwood is remarkable for the extreme bitterness of all parts of the plant: 'as bitter as Wormwood' is.

www.viableherbalsolutions.com/sin....htm
          • Unsu...

Re: Wormwood herb tea Re: cure for bad gas??

Wed, June 15, 2005 - 6:19 PM
            Tinkles... do you mix the cinamon with anything? my mouth goes all cottony at even the thought of a spoonful of cinamon....
            • Re: Wormwood herb tea Re: cure for bad gas??

Wed, June 15, 2005 - 8:40 PM
              Is the gas accompanied by constipation? If so, drink lots of water and get moving! Go for a nice long walk to help things 'move around' in there! I hope you're feeling better!
              • Unsu...

Re: Wormwood herb tea Re: cure for bad gas??

Thu, June 16, 2005 - 12:40 PM
                hehehe.. yup.. I feel better.. did about 3 days after I first posted this!!.. been interesting to see what additional remedies have come through here... most of this I knew & tried already.. I was just so miserable that day!

Thanks again, everyone! :)
                • Re: Wormwood herb tea Re: cure for bad gas??

Thu, December 1, 2005 - 6:59 PM
                  gah, for some reason this is happening to me today! i have a very important appointment tomorrow and i spent the whole day fretting over how to get over this gas... luckily it is only one hour meeting, but now one of the guys wants to get together for coffee or lunch afterwards... don't think i will make it!

i have been eating more fruits and vegetables and low-fat milk and plain yogurt [in fruit smoothies] than usual... also only have whole wheat grains, even spaghetti is whole grain [i made some with turkey meatballs yesterday], and oatmeal with fruit and nuts [i prepare myself, not prepackaged] and no sugar is a new thing...

is it just my nervousness that is making me so gassy? how could that be?

i want to try the cinnamon thing... just dry cinnamon powder? that is harsh isn't it?

Thu, December 1, 2005 - 10:16 PM
    Wheat/gluten was doing that to me. My tummy would blow up like a balloon and I would have painful gas when I eat a little bit. I always had that problem but it started getting worse over the past few months before I found out what it was.

Fri, December 2, 2005 - 3:12 PM
      the crisis has, er, passed.. thanks for info.

i think it was the whole wheat... my tummy had bloated up so much, i was wondering what was going on... just thought i was fatter than i realized...

i was so scared to eat grains this morning, i had an atkins breakfast!

Fri, December 2, 2005 - 5:35 PM
        I am just learning what I can and cannot eat now. :(

Tue, December 6, 2005 - 8:02 AM
          If you have a freak attack like this, when you'v only eaten stuff you normally do maybe your loosing ability to digest it? If you can figure out what food it is try eating it and using beano,.. that stuff works great, its just a digesative enzyme that you use on foods you know cause probs. Which for me is hard beans and onions. As we get older we loose ability to produce enough enzymes to digest i suppose. Just don't use an enzyme all the time, you don't want to become dependent, only when eating the tougher stuff =) hope this helps a lady in the future!
          • Unsu...

Tue, December 6, 2005 - 4:03 PM
            what is that "beano" stuff made of?
            i have always been curious.
            • Unsu...

Sat, December 10, 2005 - 11:02 AM
              I dunno what's in Beano, but I do know that my hubby, who is dangerously allergic to penicillin, can't take the stuff. Doctor's orders.
              • Unsu...

Sun, December 11, 2005 - 11:41 AM
                REALLY!

thats good to know because i was going to get it for my S.O. who is also allergic to penicillin!
                thanks for saving me from that freaking ER bill.
                haa haa

Tue, December 20, 2005 - 3:00 PM
              Beano has some type of fungus in it that I'm allergic to because I'm allergic to mold. (Even though strangely, penicillian doesn't bother me.

CHARCOAL capsules ar good for gas and available at both natural food stores and mainstream stores.

When I have bad gas (my body doesn't seem to tolerate garbonzo beans nor broccoli anymore) SIMETHICONE (Gas-X) works very well for me.

Wed, December 7, 2005 - 1:47 AM
    Peppermint tea, double strength.

Wed, December 7, 2005 - 9:34 PM
      um... I know its a bit late... but the best FAST answer here is the peppermint tea. OR follow the directions on a box of baking soda, and since I don't have GOOd belly critters availible day or night....I suggest (drinking a beer) getting down on your knees, and stretch your hands in front of you, and resting. If you don't feel this wholly succesful, press on your swollen belly from top to bottom and try again.
      Never fails as long as you can stand to fart for five minutes (as apposed to three days)

Sat, December 10, 2005 - 6:36 PM
        """"""What is that beano stuff made of?"-- Next post: "Peppermint tea, double strength." No it isn't!! """""""

::::::shakes head::::::
        If these posts aren't enough to make ya fart your doomed. LMAO k heres whats in beano according to the label.

Sodium
        Alpha-galactosidase enzyme (derived from Aspergillus niger)
        150 GALU
        water
        xylitol
        invertase
        disodium citrate
        gelatin
        potassium sorbate
        www.beanogas.com
        1-800-257-8650

yes its astounding i know, theres a phone number and an internet link in beano. truely a work of science ;-D

Sat, December 31, 2005 - 4:11 PM
    Have you eaten any sugar free foods? They really give me the poots sometimes because of the specific sugar substitutes some of them include. South Beach diet products are the worst.
    For regular foods such as beans and such, sprinkle a little powdered ginger on the food as you cook it. That should help.

Mon, February 13, 2006 - 8:25 PM
    Strong mint tea helps surprisingly well. Strong Ginger tea or strong ginger-mint tea should work also.

Also, chew papaya enzymes- you can get them in little chewable pills, or eat papaya. This helps digestions. Pineapple is also good for digestion.

I struggle with this one a lot myself and am trying to find remedies.
    • Unsu...

Mon, February 13, 2006 - 9:08 PM
      gas-x

Mon, February 13, 2006 - 9:22 PM
        as strange as it sounds i have always relyed on cold corn on the cob for banishing all my excess gas.
        • Unsu...

Mon, February 13, 2006 - 9:25 PM
          wow what a brilliant idea!

do u mean raw or just cold?

what is the purpose of it being cold? there must be some complex scientific reasoning for that that im sure u could explain in great detail

Mon, February 13, 2006 - 9:31 PM
            first of all just cold, NOT raw...how gross would that be? and actually as i have looked into it studies are not exactly sure why it has to be cold...perhaps try it both ways and let me know what works best. but it works because of the composition of corn our stomachs cannot digest it completly, but the built up gases are broken down more readily because of the extra enzymes ur stomach produces in an effort to digest the corn.

Wed, February 15, 2006 - 5:17 AM
              I heard eating fruit at the beginning of the meal helps with gas. I also believe it helps with cutting down how much one eats. Tricks the system or just helps with stomach pangs.

Sat, March 25, 2006 - 7:16 AM
    please don't take charcoal tablets! that is for emergencies like food poisoning, and i always give a person marshmallow or something to help them re-balance the tummy afterwards; charcoal is rough on the stomach because it pulls out *all* the stuff, good and bad. if some of you are taking charcoal tablets for chronic gas, i'd suggest stopping and working on rebuilding your intestinal flora, then try a gentler remedy like mint tea, food allergy testing, candida testing, etc. gas means poor digestion, so that means enzymes! you want to make sure your body is getting enough whole foods and doesn't have to work harder to digest processed foods or sugars, which contain no natural enzymes.

i've never really heard of downward dog for digestion, but i do know that thunderbolt (or 'the rock') is the only yoga posture recommended after you eat, and it's sometimes called the rock because it is said you can digest rocks after sitting in it....of course, after you have practiced it a while in conjunction with a healthy diet, i am sure! but it's super easy: sit on your knees, legs tucked up under you so your buttocks are up on your heels. rest your hands easily on the tops of your thighs. sit with spine erect, but relaxed. 5-15 minutes of this will help digest food, and is recommended after meals.

please don't take gas-x or anything (but you knew this!), it will only mask symptoms, not really treat your condition.

hope you're feeling better since you posted this!
    be well.
    • Unsu...

Sat, March 25, 2006 - 9:09 AM
      Oh good heavens yes.. better.. it would be terrible .. both for me and everyone around me if I'd have exreme gaseousness since May '05! :P

Sat, March 25, 2006 - 5:08 PM
        well if it happens again, i remembered another yoga pose that's called 'wind' pose or something...it's a funny name cause it's specifically for passing gas....next time you have a stressful meeting or something try doing it in the elevator, haha, j/k!

Wind Reliever

1. Lie on your back with your legs outstretched. Hug both knees to your chest, as pictured, and breathe deeply. Continue hugging your right knee to your chest as you extend your left leg on the floor, flexing your left foot.

2. Each time you exhale, hug your right knee a hair closer to your chest. Do this for 7 to 10 breaths. Repeat on the opposite side.

3. Lower your feet to the floor with your knees bent. Using your fingertips, massage little circles on your belly, following the path of your large intestine. Apply extra pressure each time you exhale. To begin, start at your lower right side, just above and to the right of your pubic bone. Move up an inch at a time to the left of your right hipbone. Move to the left across your belly just above your navel, and then move back down to the right of your left hipbone, ending just above and to the left of your pubic bone. Repeat this massage two times.

that's one way to do it...also hugging knees to chest and rocking back and forth helps.

geez did you first post this almost a year ago? hot topic, eh!

anyway this yoga pose helps a lot. :)
        • Em
          Em
          offline 2

Tue, March 28, 2006 - 6:35 AM
          I see that you already eat Yoghurt, but Cottage cheese is also good unless you are lactose intolerant :-).
          Solgar alos sell as well as many others tablets with the live active cultures in them you can get them from most health food stores, my hubby has been taking them for over a year now and it works very well for his bloated gassy feeling . :-)

Wed, March 29, 2006 - 9:21 PM
      Nux,
      What's wrong with taking SIMETHICONE (Gas-X) ? Especially if it's a short term thing like preparing for a meeting or a date? Or after eating something like cabbage, garbonzo beans, or beans? Am I to glean from what you say that if my flora and fauna are healthy beans won't give me gas? I'm skeptical.

Fri, March 31, 2006 - 3:51 PM
        haha...don't eat cabbage before a date! and yes, beans if cooked properly and your digestion is good will not give you gas. i eat beans all the time, and i never get gas. i do however get bad gas from dairy products because i am lactose intolerant...so i don't eat dairy! :)

i just don't think it's smart to rely on treatments that deal with suppressing symptoms when what needs to be addressed is poor digestion, which will not go away with a pill. it will actually get worse if you treat with drugs and pills. most people treat their symptoms, and this only throws the body's natural defenses and processes more out of whack, so they require more drugs and crap. *shrug* what you do is your choice. :) i prefer to listen to my body and take care of it's needs than supress it's functions with unecessary treatments.

here is a link you can check out to learn more, if you are interested:

www.gcnm.com/colon_cleansing_detox.html

Wed, March 29, 2006 - 8:48 PM
    If any of you are belly dancers belly rolls also help! If Do a semi-squat with your hands on the top of your thighs and do slow downward belly rolls. I think it must stimulate the intestines & help get things moving (just a guess) all I know is it really helps with the bloated gassy feeling!
    • Unsu...

Thu, March 30, 2006 - 12:36 AM
      frijoles always give me gas...rhiamon bellydancing has always helped with my cramps.

Fri, March 31, 2006 - 12:48 PM
        yes , that too! Although I find that I often do not feel like dancing when I am bloated/cramping I know if I do it will most certainly help!

Recent topics in "homemade beauty remedies"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
making lipstick Soooz: biker... 23 May 2, 2014
younger women looking for older men serena 0 April 2, 2014
how to add MSM to creams and such?... Jacklyn 17 March 11, 2014
flat tummy tatiana 1 December 5, 2013